Wednesday 21 September 2011

How did it get to the autumn equinox so quickly?

I started the owls jumper this week and it's going well so far.  The pattern is surprisingly easy to follow if you take it section by section.

I went to jigsaw club on Wednesday night, we did a books jigsaw, 1000 pieces, we didn't finish it but we got half way through.  My friend made us pad Thai noodles halfway through!

On Thursday night we cycled down the canal to the fairy caves.

During my tidy session on Friday morning I made a 2 potato vindaloo from Yotam Ottolenghi's Plenty book.  I had to splash out on some new herbs and spices and a pestle and mortar.  It also took me a while to get hold of fresh curry leaves.  The recipe calls for 25 leaves which my Asian friends said was far too many, but I stuck to the recipe, and it was AMAZING!  It was so delicious and we had it for tea on Friday and Saturday, and for lunch on Monday.  Top marks for a cracking recipe.

It was the deadline for the Awards for All arts projects bids on Friday - we received 20 applications which we need to get down to 5 winners. 

We fixed the greenhouse glass at home on Saturday morning - it was a bit of a faff and Chris broke one of the panes, they seemed so fragile compared to the glass that's already in there.  It was wet in the afternoon Saturday so we stayed in and I did some knitting.  And in the evening we watched Peter Kay being interviewed on Jonathan Ross which made us laugh.

I bought the 'Nigella Bites' cookbook for £2 off the car boot on Sunday.  There's a recipe in there for Elvis's favourite sandwich - fried banana and peanut butter sandwich. I'll definitely be giving that a go.  Chris wants me to make chocolate cloud cake.

The tomatoes are still going strong and we picked loads. Perhaps I should sow the tomatoes a little sooner next year, so that they're not ripening so late.

We managed to make up a few veg boxes to give to our friends and they popped round Sunday afternoon to pick them up.






























The sweetcorn in the greenhouse was full of flies. It doesn't do well as a late crop in greenhouse - I think it's better when sown early. If it's left later than mid to late August in the greenhouse it gets ruined by aphids and flies. There's one pumpkin in the greenhouse the size of large football, a few 'Jack Be Little' pumpkins and a few butternut squashes. The chillies are starting to turn red too. Everything's a bit late as there's been no sun. Wow, I can't believe it's nearly the end of September, where did the Summer go?

No comments:

Post a Comment