Monday, 6 December 2010

It's minus 8 and there's snow everywhere

It was -8 degrees centigrade on Friday morning and as a result it's taking us a while to get the car defrosted when we set off for work  In fact, I'm beginning to think I don't like snow and ice after all.  I mean, it's fine when you're inside, warm and cosy, watching big white snowflakes drift down. But when it's freezing, the snow has compacted into ice, and you can't walk anywhere then it kind of loses its appeal.  Unless that means I've officially grown old! 

I volunteered in the shop on Friday afternoon.  I went to the local animal food supplier and bought a 25kg sack of wild bird seed, which I started to bag down into smaller bags for sale in the shop.  I also got a large tub of fat balls too.  Because of the bitterly cold weather I was concerned that the birds would need some extra help with food.  The profit margin on the bird seed is pretty good, so both the shop and the birds benefit.

I also had my hair cut on Friday - it desperately needed a trim as all the ends were getting tangled and I was struggling to get my brush through it.

On Saturday I stayed home and kept warm.  I knitted some cabled fingerless mittens for my friend Andrea's Christmas present using a pattern I got from Ravelry.  I've never knitted cables before but they're so easy to do, I think it may be the start of a cabling addiction.  The gloves turned out a bit too big so I'll wash them in warm water and try to shrink them a little.  I used the Freedom Eco Yarn which is a wool/alpaca mix in a dark grey colour.  The yarn's a bit itchy compared to Patons Eco Wool Chunky, but Patons don't do the Eco Wool Chunky in solid grey or black shades, which is a shame.

We went to the flea market on Sunday morning but I didn't get anything at all.  Afterwards we nipped to the allotment with my Mum and Chris and made sure all the bird feeders were full.  Everywhere down the allotment was white with snow.

Chris's bird feeding station in our back garden is attracting a juvenile male blackbird and a robin and a dunnock.  Chris also managed to film a pied wagtail in the garden - a bird I've never seen before locally.  We've been trying to keep some water out for the birds to drink but it's constantly freezing over again.  Look, it's covered in snow.

I've been busy ordering Christmas presents online.  I've pretty much done everyone now, and no doubt the postman will be fed up of bringing me parcels!

That's all there is to report this week because I've been busy sorting Christmassy things.  My sister and one of my nieces are visiting this weekend, and it's Chris's birthday too, so it's all go at the minute.  I finish work next Thursday for over 2 weeks, so I am really, really looking forward to the break.  I'm going to make the most of the time off and have a rest and watch lots of films and chill out.

No comments:

Post a Comment