Monday 11 April 2011

I'm fed up of the i word

The i word is introvert. The word keeps appearing on my blog and I'm sick of seeing it. It's not a nice word and it has negative connotations. It's sounds like a bad thing to be, and I always feel like I need to justify why I'm an introvert. Well, let me try and put this to rest once and for all. Yes, I am what most people would describe as an introvert. I don't like being in big groups of people, I enjoy my own company, I can be shy until I get to know people. This is me, and I don't need to make excuses. I'm worried when I discuss the presentation thing with my boss at work that she'll say to me, 'let's try and help you get more confident'. Isn't that the same as me saying to her let me help you become more introverted and less confident? I'm not designed to be a confident outgoing person. There are loads of things I'm good at, why try and improve the things I'm rubbish at? It's not a weakness or something I need to get rid of - this is just who I am! I'm not a meek little thing that needs pulling out of my shell. I'm quite happy as I am. The problem begins when I try to fit into an extrovert world. Aaarrrggh. I'm sick of thinking about it! I spend time with people sometimes and I'm so glad to be left on my own at the end of it. I know this is who I truly am. I'm not going to try and change myself because I don't see why I need to, I'd be fighting a losing battle trying to make myself something I'm not.

No comments:

Post a Comment