Wednesday 24 March 2010

Books - I just can't get enough of them

I'm an information sponge.  I read lots and lots of non-fiction, mainly gardening books, cookery books and knitting books.

I've just finished Alys Fowler's 'The Thrifty Gardener'.  They've had this book in a cheap bookshop called the 'The Works' for about 6 months, and I've picked it up a few times, and put it down.  I was put off by the photo on the front, thinking it was just a poncy book, with no real substance.  Just some posh girl rambling on about using toilet roll tubes as plant pots.  BUT I WAS WRONG!  Very wrong.  And I've learnt the lesson not to judge a book by its cover.  I eventually ended up loaning it from the library and I read it cover to cover in 3 nights.  It's one of the best gardening books I've read in a long time.  Alys really knows her stuff.  And it's not just your usual run of the mill, samey samey gardening advice, I actually learnt something new.  Alys is now my new favourite gardening hero(ine).  I ordered her new Edible Garden book on Amazon today, and can't wait for the BBC TV series of the same name to start soon.  Alys rules.



Another book I'm halfway through (it's about 2 inches thick) is 'Home Comforts - The Art and Science of Keeping House' by Cheryl Mendelson.  If there was a university degree in house keeping this would be the study text.  Forgot rubbish like 'How Clean is your House' or Anthea Turner's 'How to be the Perfect Housewife', 'Home Comforts' wipes the floor with them.  If you ever wanted to know the right way to go about cleaning and looking after your house, as well as ensuring it's a pleasant and safe place to live, this is the book for you.  It covers all topics in extensive detail, it really is amazing, and worth the meagre £12 that Amazon are charging for it.  I can confidently hang my washing out on the line, knowing that all my pegs are in the right place.  An essential reference for any house proud person.

No comments:

Post a Comment