Tuesday 23 March 2010

Lots more seeds sown, and my sister and 2 nieces paid a visit

On Friday I sowed some brachycome, morning glory (blue and carnivale de Venice) sweetcorn lark, black eyed susan susie mixed and nicotiana.

My sister arrived on Saturday with my 2 little nieces, aged 4 and 6.  They stayed until today, and it was lovely having them over.  They live in the flattest part of the country (Fenland), and they'd never been up a hill before, so on Sunday morning we went to the top of the Coppice (the biggest hill in my town).  















In the afternoon we visited Haworth Art Gallery and did a spot of painting, before having tea at Duckworth Hall, where I ordered my usual - cheese and onion pie, chips and salad, followed by Cartmel sticky toffee pudding and ice cream.  Delicious as always.  And the girls ordered the same as their Aunt Gemma!

My nieces were keen to lend a hand in the greenhouse, and as well as helping me water, they helped to sow some kale, sprouts, cabbage, catmint and pansies on Sunday afternoon.














I was back in the greenhouse on Monday, sowing some basil, coriander and chives in the terracotta elephant planter set that our friend Emma bought us as a house warming present last year.  This will come and live in our kitchen once the herbs are established.

















Lots of seedlings have now popped up and I've taken them out of the propagator to make way for new ones to germinate.




























Before the girls left I gave them a little Easter treat that I'd knitted for them - a bunny and a chicken, both with a Cadbury's Creme Egg stuffed up their bottoms!   They were well chuffed with them.  I got the pattern for free off Jean Greenhowe's website http://www.jeangreenhowe.com/patterns.html



No comments:

Post a Comment