Wednesday 3 March 2010

Welcome to my allotment blog, all the way from sunny Lancashire

I've been meaning to do this for a while.  A blog, that is. Just a way for me to record what I'm up to, because whilst it seems obvious at the time, it's funny how quick you forget.

Anyhow. Yesterday I got busy in the greenhouse and planted the first seeds of the season. Tomatoes and peppers. They're in pots, cooking away in the propagator, under panes of glass. It might be too early, but the seed packets said January - March, so it didn't seem like too much of a risk. I'd normally just ask my Dad, but, he's not here to ask anymore, so it's all up to me now. Some guy down the allotment, calls himself  'Barry the gardener', reckons everything's a month behind because of the cold weather, but I'm not convinced.

As for the allotment, well Chris has been working his heart out down there, despite having one of the most physically demanding jobs Monday-Friday, he's been up at 7am on Saturdays and Sundays for the past 4 weeks, braving the freezing conditions and knocking the plot back into shape. Four raised beds in. Soil dug. Shed erected. Old shed repaired. Glass in one greenhouse cleaned. Huge pile of weeds and brambles removed. Compacted soil dug over. He's made a huge difference. We dug some manure in last weekend, so everything's good to go. Playing the waiting game now. Thinking about plots and plans (hence the name of the blog), what needs to go where, bearing crop rotation in mind, of course. I shall keep you posted.




No comments:

Post a Comment